Even when you do your best to meal plan and grocery shop for the week, there are still days that end up being so hectic that it’s hard to find the time for a healthy meal. When that happens, energy bars can be a lifesaver. Whether you’re running errands, sneaking a snack before you have time to sit down for lunch, or staving off hunger after a tough workout, be sure to choose your energy bar wisely. (We have tips about that below.) Read on to stock your car, your office desk, your pantry, and your gym bag with the best fuel for every diet.
Types of Energy Bars
There’s a time and a place for every kind of energy bar.
- Pre-workout or post-workout: If you’re heading to the gym and need extra fuel, have a few bites of an energy bar that’ll give you extra fuel to power through a session, or replenish your muscles after the fact.
- Gluten-free: These grains naturally lack gluten, which are great for those with celiac disease or gluten intolerance.
- Meal replacements: It’s always ideal to sit down for three healthy meals, but when you’re on the go, you can still enjoy some essential nutrients in bar form.
- Mid-morning: Finding yourself hungry between breakfast and lunch? Try an energy bar with added protein to help keep you full until the main event.
- Travel days: Stuck in an airport terminal without great food options? Hungry on a cross-country flight? Be sure to tuck an energy bar (or three) into your carry on.
Top Energy Bars Brands
Here’s your primer on the top energy bar brands.
From coconut cream pie to blueberry muffins, Larabar will make you forget you’re actually eating an energy bar. The brand uses minimal ingredients to make nourishing, plant-based treats that are non-GMO, vegan, and fair trade certified.
Both kids and adults will love this snack brand offering something for everyone. From fruit-focused bars to protein-packed options, Clif Bar is a go-to brand no matter where life takes you.
Health Warrior takes a cue from the wisdom of the ancient Aztecs, which is why every bar is made with one powerhouse superfood: chia seeds. Flavors like caramel sea salt, dark chocolate, and coconut are sure to please.
Best Gluten-Free Energy Bars
Just because you’re eating gluten-free doesn’t mean you don’t need energy. Here are the bars that work.
It might not be a slice of warm apple pie, but these bars are the next best thing. With 5 grams of fiber per serving, each bar serves up a quarter cup of fruit and is perfectly spiced with cinnamon. Raisins and walnuts add extra flavor.
This small but mighty bar clocks in at 100 calories and delivers 4 grams of fiber, 3 grams of protein, plus calcium and iron. It’s your perfect purse companion!
Organic Energy Bars
Enjoy these organic energy bars when you’re on the move.
If PB is your nut butter of choice, you’ll love this 12-pack of bars with 7 grams of protein each. The addition of toasted coconut and chocolate puts this flavor combo over the top.
Here’s an easy way to load up on extra servings of fruit and veggies. This snack has strawberries, spinach, cashews, apricots, and delivers calcium and iron, plus 5 grams of dietary fiber. Store this snack pack at your desk for easy access.
Dark chocolate and mint are a decadent flavor combo that normally come together in a sweet treat, but in this bar, they’re serving up a whopping 12 grams of protein. It makes for a satisfying snack that feels more like a guilty pleasure.
Snack Tips From Thrive Market
From road trips to keto nibbles, our blog has what you need to know.
No road trip is complete without a bag of snacks to satisfy cravings when grocery stores are few and far between. Load up on everything you need—no matter what diet you follow.
These easy-to-make morsels are infused with vanilla protein powder for a healthy boost. They’re sweetened with dates, and you can make a batch in 10 minutes!
Trying to stick to a keto meal plan but don’t know where snacking fits in? Start here. This guide has everything you need to learn how to snack smart.