Why You’ll Love It
About This Brand
Flour Mix (Rice, Buckwheat, Millet), Chocolate Chips (Cane Sugar, Unsweetened Chocolate, Cocoa Butter), Palm Oil, Brown Cane Sugar, Dried Cane Syrup, Cocoa Powder, Natural Flavors, Vanilla Extract, Salt, Leavening (Cream of Tartar, Baking Soda), Xanthan Gum, Konjac, Rosemary Extract.
California residents: Learn more on Prop 65 warning. Disclaimer: Information, statements, and reviews regarding products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Results vary person to person, and there is no guarantee of specific results. Thrive Market assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatements about products.
Amount Per Serving
Why You’ll Love Crunchy Double Chocolate Cookies
There are three things in the world that no one should live without—love, happiness, and chocolate. Unfortunately, for many with dietary allergies, the last one on the list can often be a no-go due to the use of common ingredients that can cause an unwanted reaction. Enjoy Life decided to change that, creating the no. 1 allergy-friendly baking chocolate in America.
Their premium, semi-sweet chips are free of:
That means everyone at the table can now enjoy cookies, brownies, fudge, and other homemade goodies. Or, eat these sweet mini chips straight out of the bag for a tasty chocolate fix that only has seven grams of sugar in each tablespoon-sized serving.
What is semi-sweet chocolate?
There are generally four different classifications of chocolate:
- White chocolate
- Milk chocolate
- Semi-sweet chocolate
- Dark chocolate
The main thing that differentiates each type is the percentage of natural cocoa powder versus the fatty cocoa butter in each product, both of which come from beans from the cacao tree.
White chocolate is essentially just cocoa butter with sugar and milk added in. On the other end of the spectrum, dark chocolate has little amounts of cocoa butter and more solid cacao that produces a more bittersweet taste. Semi-sweet chocolate, then, is situated right between milk chocolate and dark chocolate in both makeup and taste.
Potential health benefits of semi-sweet chocolate
Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mini Chips are not only allergen-free, but are also a healthy alternative to many of the sugar-laden products for sale. Enjoy Life makes their version solely with evaporated cane juice, natural (and non-alcoholic) chocolate liquor, and non-dairy cocoa butter.
Each serving has just seven grams of sugar and five grams of total fat, and has zero trans fats, cholesterol, and sodium. There are also amounts of protein, fiber, calcium, and iron in each spoonful. So, contrary to popular belief, chocolate doesn’t have to be bad for you—especially given the research that has turned up some positive benefits of eating cacao on a regular basis.
- Reduced risk of stroke: In 2011, a study published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology linked chocolate to a reduced risk of stroke. Researchers found that women who ate at least 45 grams of chocolate per week had a 20 percent decrease in stroke occurrences than women who ate less than 20 grams a week. Similar results have been shown in men as well. The article points to antioxidant-rich flavonoids in chocolate as a possible reason, saying, “Flavonoids appear to be protective against cardiovascular disease through antioxidant, anti-clotting, and anti-inflammatory properties.”
- Better heart health: Chocolate—particularly dark or semi-sweet chocolate—reduces blood pressure and lowers levels of “bad” LDL cholesterol, which together helps to reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Fighting diabetes: Although it should be enjoyed in moderation, chocolate overall has been shown to increase insulin sensitivity. This allows the body to consume more sugar before blood sugar levels will be raised, thereby reducing the risk of contracting diabetes.
- Skin protection: While bathing in chocolate could get messy, it turns out that the sweet stuff is actually quite good for the skin. Eating it releases more flavonoids into the system that can protect the skin from UV damage.
- Mood enhancer: In news to probably no one, chocolate will put you in a good mood. Eating it in moderation can help to fight off mood swings and reduce bouts of depression by triggering dopamine and anandamide reactions in the pleasure centers of the brain.
- Better blood flow: Cocoa is known to have anti-clotting properties that help the blood thin and move more freely through the body. This improves blood circulation and, when increased flow is directed at the brain, it can also amplify sight and thought processes.
Treats made with Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mini Chips
There really isn’t anything that chocolate chips wouldn’t taste good in—try adding to:
Here are some of Thrive Market’s favorite recipes using Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mini Chips. Because they are miniature, they melt down even better for ooey, gooey cookies, muffins, and more.
Go big or go home, right? This oversized chocolate chip cookie is the size of a small pizza and tastes just as good sliced up and served warm. To make, you’ll need a 9-inch cast iron skillet, sprouted white wheat flour, baking powder and baking soda, butter, sugar, honey, eggs, vanilla extract, and a good dose of Enjoy Life’s Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mini Chips.
Great for tea parties, parting gifts, and hot cocoa season, these chocolate-dipped spoons are incredibly easy to make. Just melt a bag of Enjoy Life’s Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mini Chips in a bowl in the microwave, then dip plastic spoons in and top with crushed candy cane, candied ginger, nuts, or even more chocolate chips.
Zucchini? What zucchini? This may be the biggest covert operation in food. Though the squash is used to make these muffins super moist and healthy, raw cacao powder, dark chocolate baking chips, honey, vanilla, and a banana add in the sweetness. The best part—they’re Paleo-friendly and gluten-free.
Is it a popcorn ball? A rice krispie treat? A baked trail mix bar? Trick question—it’s actually all of the above. This super nutritious, kid-friendly recipe pairs dark chocolate chips with sprouted popcorn, pecans, coconut chips, dried fruit, honey, almond butter, and some spices for a treat you can eat on the go or save for dessert.
More about Enjoy Life
Enjoy Life Foods was the first company to receive independent gluten-free certification from the GFCO in 2005, and ever since has become recognized as one of the leaders for creating tasty snack foods that are free of the eight most common allergens—among them milk, soy, egg, and nuts. Today, Enjoy Life Foods offers 46 different allergy-friendly products, including cookies, cereal, snack bars, seed and fruit mixes, baking chocolate, chocolate bars, and snack chips that allow anyone to enjoy their favorite foods without restriction.
Featured on Thrive Market
Cut back on environmental waste is by packing lunches in eco-friendly containers, totes, and insulated food jars from U Konserve. They’re reusable and made with non-toxic and BPA-free materials, to...Read More