Why You’ll Love It
About This Brand
Organically grown and processed tomato puree, sea salt, organic onion powder and organic garlic powder.
California residents: Learn more on Prop 65 warning. Disclaimer: Information, statements, and reviews regarding products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Results vary person to person, and there is no guarantee of specific results. Thrive Market assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatements about products.
Why You’ll Love Organic Tomato Sauce, 2-Pack
It’s not difficult to find a red tomato sauce that doesn’t taste delicious straight from the jar, especially when poured over steamed veggies, cooked meat, or al dente noodles. But if you want to experience next-level flavor and nutrition, ditch the conventional sauces and go organic.
Muir Glen Organic Canned Tomato Sauce uses fruit that is field-grown and vine-ripened under certified organic practices—meaning no synthetic pesticides or chemical fertilizers. As a result, each can in this two-pack is bursting with sweet yet earthy flavor and tons of nutrients like vitamin C and lycopene. Use the sauce to cook your favorite pasta, chicken, or fish dishes (like this poached cod), and create an Italian-style meal your taste buds won’t soon forget.
How Muir Glen harvests their organic tomatoes
Muir Glen’s certified organic farming methods create healthy, nutrient-rich soil that yields fresh-off-the-vine tomatoes. Growers harvest the crops in Southern California’s San Joaquin Valley in late summer, just at the peak of ripeness, and then drive bushels to a processing facility where the tomatoes are canned within eight short hours of picking. Muir Glen tomato sauces are triple-washed to guarantee no cleaning agents are used and packaged without synthetic chemical additives. The only ingredients you’ll find in each can are tomato puree, sea salt, and organic onion and garlic powder.
Why tomato sauce is best organic
Sure, organic varieties bear a slightly heftier price tag than their non-organic counterparts, but it’s money well spent when you consider the following factors.
- Taste: Tomatoes were one of the first plants to be genetically modified in order to have a longer shelf life. Conventional tomatoes not only have dangerous GMOs, but they are notorious for tasting bland, grainy, and watery. Organic tomatoes, on the other hand, have a rich, earthy flavor that perks up almost any dish. Organic tomato-based sauces are also much sweeter thanks to a higher concentration of naturally occurring sugar.
- Nutrition: Organic tomatoes are loaded with more health-boosting antioxidants than their non-organic counterparts. That’s because growing up organic means a lack of pesticides, which are meant to protect baby tomatoes from field pests like bugs. As a result, natural tomatoes produce more stress compounds—like vitamin C and lycopene—that protect them from being eaten by predators. These nutrients give the fruit its bright red color, which intimidates animals. The result is a tomato that’s fought hard to survive, and has a rich source of vitamins to prove it.
- Environment: Organic farms are more careful about cycling their crops to ensure that the land remains arable for seasons to come. That’s in contrast to conventional farms that grow and fertilize produce at rapid-fire rates, which can potentially deplete the soil of its important nutrients for many generations.
Organic tomato sauce nutrition
Muir Glen Organic Canned Tomato Sauce is loaded with the good stuff, but more importantly it’s low in the bad stuff, like unwanted saturated fat, calories, and cholesterol. It does, however, contain high levels of sodium (260 milligrams per serving), so if you have high blood pressure, you may want to consume tomato sauce in moderation.
Inside each can of this two-pack, you’ll find a host of good-for-you nutrients, including:
- Fiber: This important dietary ingredient not only regulates the digestive system, but it can also help stave off more serious diseases like diabetes, heart disease, even colon cancer.
- Vitamin A: A powerful, fat-soluble vitamin that’s involved in immune function, cell communication, reproduction, and eye health. Because vitamin A supports normal functioning of the membranes around the eye and cornea, it’s critical to vision. It also plays a major role in the growth and regeneration of the heart, lung, kidney, and skin cells. Just one serving of Muir Glen Tomato Sauce satisfies six percent of the recommended daily requirements.
- Vitamin C: An antioxidant that protects against immune system deficiencies, cardiovascular disease, prenatal problems, eye disease, and skin wrinkling. Just one serving of Muir Glen Tomato Sauce delivers four percent of the recommended daily requirements.
- Vitamin K: This fat-soluble vitamin is essential to building strong bones and preventing heart disease.
- Antioxidants: The concentrations of lycopene, beta-carotene, carotenoids, flavonoids, and phenolic acids all help ward off disease and promote a healthy immune system.
Benefits of the antioxidant lycopene
One of the greatest benefits of tomatoes is the abundance of lycopene, the pigment that gives red fruits and vegetables their color. It's also a free radical–fighting antioxidant. Scientific studies have shown that lycopene helps reduce the risk of developing:
- Cancer, namely prostate, lung, and stomach cancers.
- Cardiovascular disease, which is helped by reducing levels of LDL ("bad") cholesterol and lowering blood pressure.
- Macular degeneration, which is the leading cause of severe vision loss in people over the age of 60. It occurs when the small central portion of the retina, known as the macula, deteriorates.
Ways to cook with Muir Glen Organic Canned Tomato Sauce
So, the sauce is good for you, but how does it perform in the kitchen? Well, thanks to its rich, earthy flavor, each can of sauce can perk up all sorts of dishes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Here are four easy-to-make, impossible-to-resist dishes using Muir Glen Organic Tomato Sauce:
Perfect for a quick family dinner, this vegetarian stew is an incredible blend of flavors and textures. It can be made in mere minutes by sautéing red peppers, eggplant, zucchini, garlic, and shallots in olive oil. Toss with tomato sauce, and throw in some chopped fresh basil and rosemary, and voila! Instant dinner.
Who doesn't love this south-of-the-border favorite first thing in the morning? In a food processor, pulse tomato sauce with garlic, an onion, a seeded jalapeño pepper, cumin, and cilantro leaves. Then, add the mixture to a pan and bring to a simmer on the stove to thicken slightly. Layer organic corn tortillas with warmed refried beans, a fried egg, some of the thickened salsa, and grated cheese to serve.
Trim the fat from a chuck beef roast and season liberally with salt and pepper. Add oil to a large pot and brown the roast on all sides. Place the roast in a slow cooker and top with equal parts tomato sauce and beef bone broth. Add in sliced onions and carrots, minced garlic, a bay leaf or two, and a tablespoon of vinegar and honey. Leave to cook for six to eight hours, and you'll have the most flavorful and tender roast you've ever eaten.
This tangy side dish goes great with any number of Mexican favorites or roasted chicken. Cook white or brown rice in a mixture that includes one part water and one part tomato sauce. When the rice is cooked, toss with garlic, cumin, green peas, and chopped spring onion, and serve warm.
Reviews For Organic Tomato Sauce, 2-Pack
Based on 13 Reviews
I THINK IT IS THE BEST THAT I HAVE EVER USED AND WILL USE IT AGAIN.
good ingredients & flavour
This is the best ever tomato sauce that I have tried since going natural. Not to say that it isn't as good as traditional sauce, but just that it is quite delicious in it's simplicity and easy to use in all sorts of recipes and sauce variations.
Delicious tomatoes sauce.
Honest brand, real ingredients, best price
I was really pleased with this company and their tomato sauce. There was some question as to whether their cans had that BPA junk so I gave them a call. They disclosed that while the cans used to be lined with a substance containing BPA, they have since changed that and are now BPA free with all their products.
They're very transparent with their ingredients and there was no difference between what was advertised on the site and what I received with my order.
I'd never heard of Muir Glen before, but I saw this brand on here and it was the best price for organic tomato sauce. After my own research, I decided to order some. It came pretty fast and it was well packed with no dents.
I could definitely taste the difference from other canned brands. Rich, distinct tomato taste. Went great in my pasta and pizza, giving them a fresh, authentic flavor that was just delicious. I'll definitely buy again.
Great consistency, too much sodium.
Anything organic without artificial ingredients is a plus for me. I was really excited to see the thickness of the sauce while I was pouring it into the pot. Just as I had a taste, I could feel the salt stronger than what I am used to. Nothing a little vegetables could not tame but it takes from the convenience that I look for when I am using canned or jarred tomato soup.
- Marianne T.
Finally BPA Free
I have been having a very hard time finding BPA free canned goods. As a working mother, I'm very busy and often need to rely on canned ingredients when cooking for my kids. I was so grateful to find this sauce that tastes delicious and doesn't feed my kids poison like most other canned goods do!
No Seeds! I love it!
I bought this sauce because the seeds were removed and it was all sauce. I also bought this because I love making pasta and often use this as a base. Because, it was a two pack, I was able to save some for next time I cook Italian!
My only reservation from buying this product again is the fact that the can is not BPA free. Based off what I have read, it sounds like they have produced both types of cans but regardless, should start putting their products in glass jars.
Very tasty product, I would buy again if taste was the only issue.
- Byron Burke
I like this brand of tomato sauce and it's such a great value! Far cheaper than buying it locally or anywhere else online.
This sauce also contains "naturally derived citric acid" and this is not stated on the ingredient list here. Citric acid derived from what? Corn? Aspergillus-loaded GMO corn? Where most citric acid comes from? And how much is in there? Enough to make this tomato sauce taste as sour as a lemon. Fresh, homegrown garden tomatoes and sauce made from them are sweet. Put them in a can with citric acid and you have horrid tasting sauce! No thanks!
Good for Italian food
I make a lot of Italian food at my house, and this organic sauce is my go to can.The sauce is pure tomatoes, sea salt, onion and garlic powder. That's all, folks. Nothing else added like additional sugar or salt, and so you taste the real tomato in the sauce, which is key when I don't have the time to make sauce from scratch in my lasagna, spaghetti and meatballs or rigatoni. And at under $3 for 2, Thrive is making me a regular buyer of these.
- Doris Hodges
I use this sauce to make my famous home made sauce and it comes out tasting perfect every time. I have tried other sauces as my base and none tasted as wonderful as these. I love that this brand is certified organic because then I'm not wondering what chemicals may be in my sauce either. This is also a great base for homemade tomato soup.
- Slater Jane
Featured on Thrive Market
Our body rarely shies away from letting us know when it’s hungry. Rumblings arrive as we wake each morning, signaling it’s time for breakfast. In the middle of a meeting nearing the lunch hour, our...Read More