Can You Get Collagen from Plants? A Plant-Based Collagen ExplainerJune 14th, 2021
Collagen is a popular supplement for everything from joint health to anti-aging skincare, offering an extra dose of the naturally occurring protein that makes up the bulk of your skin, bones, and muscles. While collagen is only found in animals, brands like PlantFusion are making it possible to enjoy collagen’s potential benefits while sticking to a plant-based diet.
What is Collagen?
Collagen is the most common protein found throughout human and animal bodies. It’s the substance that holds bones, muscles, tendons, and skin together, providing a structure for the body’s most essential components.
To source animal collagen, manufacturers take scraps from meat production (think the hooves, joints, and bones) and extract the collagen. Simply ingesting these collagen peptides from an animal does not prompt your body to create more collagen, though; most supplements are broken down into the amino acids and peptides that your body needs to create collagen, similar to the effect that happens when you digest collagen-rich meats or bone broth. PlantFusion’s plant-based collagen supplements use these same amino acids to prompt your body to make more of its own collagen.
Health & Beauty Benefits of Collagen
If collagen is already found throughout our bodies, why do so many people add it to their supplement routines? Because you begin to lose collagen as you age (some studies report that 1% of collagen is lost each year after age 20), the general idea is that adding more collagen can help to combat this decline. Collagen is the substance that adds firmness to your skin; without it, skin begins to sag or wrinkle, so taking a collagen supplement may help to keep your complexion looking firm and youthful well into your 30s, 40s, and beyond.
Other benefits of collagen:
- May help to prevent joint pain and combat degenerative joint disorders like osteoarthritis
- May prevent bone loss and conditions like osteoporosis and sarcopenia as you age
- Increased bone mineral density, according to certain studies
Where Does Plant-Based Collagen Come From?
Plant-based collagen is not truly collagen (which you can only get from animal bones and tissue), but rather a collection of the amino acids and nutrients that help your body protect and create more of its own collagen naturally. PlantFusion’s plant-based collagen promoter supplements are made up of a cocktail of the critical nutrients that research shows promote collagen synthesis and help your body to protect its existing collagen.
PlantFusion takes careful steps to ensure that the ingredients in their products are both effective and safe. The brand sources its amino acids from plants instead of animals, using a proprietary blend of pea, artichoke, sprouted organic amaranth, and sprouted organic quinoa proteins.
Other ingredients found in PlantFusion plant-based collagen include:
- White tea extract (loaded with antioxidant polyphenols, which aid in immunity, digestion, and heart health)
- Amla fruit extract (stimulates collagen production with Vitamin C)
- French grape seed (high in flavonoids that may increase collagen production)
Plant-Based Collagen vs. Animal Collagen: Which is Better?
Choosing a collagen supplement depends largely on your values, budget, and health goals. When deciding between plant-based and animal collagen, it’s important to consider where the ingredients come from and how they impact your body.
PlantFusion’s vegan collagen is beneficial because it stimulates your body to create its own new collagen. The brand’s plant-based collagen products “build, hydrate, and protect collagen” with amino acids and other nutrients that are essential for building new collagen in the body and protecting the collagen you currently have as you age.
Here’s a quick comparison of the two:
- Uses a combination of plant-sourced amino acids, vitamins, and nutrients to stimulate collagen production
- Hydrates and protects existing collagen
- 100% Vegan
- Offers other potential health benefits, such as antioxidants and immune support through Vitamin C
- Uses collagen peptides sourced from animal bones, joints, and skin
- Hydrolyzed to help the body absorb collagen better (similar to how your body digests animal proteins into amino acids)
- Typically does not include other vitamins or minerals
Plant-Based Collagen Products to Add to Your Routine
PlantFusion Collagen Builder
This plant-based, collagen-building supplement contains the same essential amino acids as true collagen peptides, plus iron, potassium, and vitamins to help build new collagen and preserve the collagen you currently have. It’s also packed with 18 grams of plant-based protein, which provides a two-in-one solution for your morning routine.
If you’re most concerned with the health and firmness and elasticity of your skin, this plant-based, cruelty-free supplement contains amla fruit extract, which may stimulate collagen production and give your skin a healthy glow.
With the addition of hydrating hyaluronic acid and coconut water, this powder supplement is formulated to deeply nourish your skin as it delivers the health and beauty benefits of collagen and make your skin appear more luminous.
PlantFusion’s Mocha Coffee Collagen Builder Recipe
10 fl. oz. freshly brewed coffee
1 Tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
2-3 fl. oz. of coconut milk (or unsweetened almond milk)
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg (optional)
1 scoop PlantFusion Collagen Builder, Rich Chocolate
- While the coffee is brewing, combine the coconut oil and the coconut milk in a small sauce pan and heat on medium until warm and coconut oil is fully melted.
- In a blender, combine the coffee, coconut oil and coconut milk mixture, ground cinnamon, nutmeg and the PlantFusion Collagen Builder.
- Blend ingredients together for about 30 seconds until mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Pour into a mug and enjoy!