When the day comes that you do need to let it all out and shed some major tears, your eyes might need a little TLC. Enter this all-natural DIY soothing, brightening mask, which helps combat dark circles, puffiness, and fine lines. And while it’s great for the aftermath a good cry session, you can use it any time—feel free to smooth it on once or twice a week to keep your peepers looking their best.
Each of the potent-yet-gentle ingredients bring different beauty benefits to the table.
- Aloe vera gel: Aloe contains active compounds that help calm inflammation and stimulate skin growth and repair.
- Vitamin E oil: When this antioxidant and anti-inflammatory is used topically, it fights free radical damage from sun exposure and helps diminish swelling.
- Rosewater: Made by steeping rose petals in water, the resulting fragrantliquid soothes irritation and hydrates and brightens skin.
- Grapeseed oil: The most polyphenol-rich part of the grape is the seed, and the oil extracted from it is a potent source of free radical–fighting antioxidants.
- Green tea: Caffeine improves circulation and plumps skin, helps “wake up” tired eyes, and has a fair share of antioxidants.
Here’s the recipe—so easy and quick!
Brew green tea and let steep for 10 to 15 minutes. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Apply gently with your ring finger (which is the weakest, and therefore the gentlest), under each eye. Leave on for 20 minutes. Then softly massage in the excess fluid, or wipe off with a tissue.
Double or triple the amounts to make a larger batch to keep in the fridge; use within two weeks.
Note: If you have chronic dark circles, they’re likely genetic and there may not be a whole lot you can realistically do to fade them. But this red lipstick trick could help cover them up. There’s always concealer, too. Hey, even Kim K. gets (a lot of) help in the makeup department.
Photo credit: Alicia Cho