How to Boost Your Brain With EndocannabinoidsFebruary 22nd, 2019
If you feel like you’re moving a mile a minute, you might not be too far off. Life these days is fast-paced, demanding, and busy. While we all have different ways of coping—eating well, exercising, practicing other self-care rituals, many of us miss the opportunity to tap into an essential partner on our journey toward health: the brain.
“The effects of our fast-paced lives can cause oxidative damage to the brain, hurting healthy brain cells, slowing us down, preventing the brain from getting enough oxygen, and causing us to underperform at our optimal cognitive level,” says Emerald Health Bioceuticals CEO Jade Beutler. We think it’s time to get to know your endocannabinoid system (ECS), your body’s largest neurotransmitter that delivers important messages to other systems, cells, tissues, and organs.
Endocannabinoids and Brain Health
Memory and brain health is a hot topic in the geriatric community, especially when it comes to Alzheimer’s disease and dementia. But the under 60 crowd should take notice, too. Scientists are still uncovering new research about how our brains work, but we do know the human brain is made up of 100 billion cells called neurons that fire about 200 times per second. Dealing with daily stressors at any age may lead to a variety of symptoms connected to your brain, like difficulty concentrating, forgetfulness, or “brain fog.”
“Our bodies and minds are in desperate need to get back to a state of homeostasis, or balance, so we can think more clearly, stay focused longer, and get that cognitive edge we desire,” Beutler says. “The brain controls everything and paying closer attention to our cognitive health has a trickle-down effect on the rest of our well-being.”
“Our bodies and minds are in desperate need to get back to a state of homeostasis, or balance, so we can think more clearly, stay focused longer, and get that cognitive edge we desire.”
Enter, endocannabinoids, chemical compounds produced naturally in the body. The endocannabinoid system (ECS) is our body’s receptor-site system responsible for maintaining balance, and harnessing it may be an effective way to help turn back the clock when it comes to cognitive damage. The ECS helps promote balance in our cells, tissues, and organs. “Our bodies contain receptor sites that can be activated by endocannabinoids and phytocannabinoids (plant-based compounds that mimic endocannabinoids),” Beutler says. You might be familiar with two of the most popular phytocannabinoids—cannabis and CBD—but research shows other plants can also activate our ECS just as effectively.
Herbal Extracts to Support Brain Health
In formulating the supplement EndoBrain, the team at Emerald Health Bioceuticals started with its proprietary phytocannabinoid blend called PhytoCann Complex—a doctor-formulated blend of cannabis-free herbs and botanicals that activate both CB1 and CB2 receptors. With your ECS covered, Emerald Health added an extra dose of brain-boosting powder in the form of two herbal extracts: Huperzine-A and Bacopa monnieri. “These centuries-old brain boosters are powerful agents in protecting brain health, enhancing memory, and in battling oxidative stress,” Beutler says.
- Bacopa: This ancient remedy has been used in Ayurvedic medicine to help treat ADHD and Alzheimer’s disease and combat stress. In a small recent animal study, the subjects in the control group given Bacopa showed higher rates of cognitive memory recovery than the placebo group.
- Huperzine: This extract is made from the firmoss plant, native to Southeast Asia, and is thought to promote enhanced memory and recall. According to this review and meta-analysis, it shows promise as an aid to improve cognitive function and daily function in Alzheimer’s patients.
This blend is the essential piece of EndoBrain, which may give memory and cognition a boost, aid in transmitting brain cells, and help protect the brain from oxidative damage.*
5 Easy Ways to Boost Your Brain
These five tips for improving cognitive health are relatively easy to adopt and basically, well, no-brainers.
- Get moving. Moving your body and getting your heart rate up sends a rush of oxygen-rich blood to the brain.
- Eat more nutrients. The more nutrient-dense food you enjoy regularly, the better your brain will function. Ingredients that deliver omega-3s (like fish, nuts, and olive oil) are some of the best picks.
- Be a social butterfly. Your brain loves mental stimulation. Everything from volunteering or joining local clubs to calling your mom or doing a crossword puzzle can help your brain stay in shape.
- Meditate. Don’t worry if you don’t have an hour to spare every day to practice the art of meditation. Sitting quietly for just five minutes is enough to help your brain stop focusing on your to-do list and start appreciating the present.
- Supplement with phytocannabinoids. Supplementing your wellness routine with phytocannabinoids can help restore balance back to your body and mind. Emerald Health’s cannabis-free phytocannabinoids harness the power of ingredients like clove, ginger, and echinacea to create its ECS supplements.
*These statements made herein have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.