Why You’ll Love It
About This Brand
Non-GMO Potatoes, organic coconut oil, sea salt
California residents: Learn more on Prop 65 warning. Disclaimer: Information, statements, and reviews regarding products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Results vary person to person, and there is no guarantee of specific results. Thrive Market assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatements about products.
Amount Per Serving
Why You’ll Love Sea Salt Potato Chips
Sometimes it’s good to be a kid at heart, like keeping your sense of imagination or knowing how to have fun. But, in other cases, you’ll want to leave the past in the past, like that childhood habit of eating greasy potato chips.
Today, there’s a better way to snack with brands like Jackson’s Honest. They have brought to market the world’s first organic potato chip fried in healthy coconut oil. Each 5 oz. bag is full of only three ingredients—non-GMO potatoes, organic coconut oil, and just a touch of sea salt for extra flavor—which provides an impressive nutritional profile that’s normally unassociated with snacks. That includes 15% of the daily recommended value of vitamin C in each serving, as well as fiber, protein, and iron—and absolutely no added sugar, cholesterol, or trans fats.
So, although it’s often tough to “eat just one” potato chip, in this case it’s actually good for you to fill up.
More about the ingredients in Jackson’s Honest Potato Chips
Every ingredient in Jackson’s Honest is “purposely, nutritiously, deliciously chosen” to be nutrient-dense and full of good-for-you fats, proteins, and carbohydrates. Inside every bag you’ll find:
- Organic coconut oil: Jackson’s Honest created its own “low, slow” process for frying chips using only premium, organic coconut oil. Though it takes nearly 10 times as long, the formula helps to keep the molecular integrity of coconut oil intact, and thus boosts its health-promoting properties like disease prevention, heart health, and blood sugar regulation.
- Non-GMO potatoes: The use of non-GMO potatoes is not only better for the farmer (thanks to fair trade practices), but it’s also more wholesome for humans to eat given the absence of genetically-modified organisms. Plus, when mixed with organic coconut oil, the potato’s flavor is on another level, making these chips more satisfying than a guilty snack.
- Real sea salt: The salty coating that may be familiar on conventional chips isn’t always the best for you. Instead, Jackson’s Honest uses Real Salt Brand Sea Salt, which is sourced from an ancient reservoir in central Utah and is never chemically treated, bleached, or kiln dried. This salt not only tastes better than the processed table variety, but it also delivers a boatload of 60 trace minerals (including magnesium, potassium, sodium, calcium, selenium, manganese, and zinc) needed for optimal function.
Jackson’s Honest proprietary process
The folks at Jackson’s Honest had their work cut out for them when creating their crisps. The biggest challenge was overcoming the unique physical and chemical properties of coconut oil while maintaining all the nutritional benefits. Coconut oil’s high saturation of fat creates a solid at room temperature (much like butter), which makes frying large amounts at one time very difficult. Additionally, in order to keep the molecular structure of nutrients intact, they had to use significantly lower temperatures.
As a result, the company took a year to invent an entirely new cooking process that they describe as “low and slow.” Patience and low-temperature frying helps keep both the taste and nutritional profile of the coconut oil and the heirloom potatoes intact.
Health benefits of coconut oil
Coconut oil is a saturated fat, which has long been shunned as unhealthy. However, in the past few years, research has revealed that not all saturated fats are created equal, and that some types that have been vilified in the past might even be good for you.
Sixty percent of the fats in coconut oil are medium-chain triglycerides, or MCTs, which are easier for the body to break down than other fats. MCTs are able to permeate cell membranes without the use of extra enzymes. So, instead of getting stored as belly fat, they get sent directly to the liver, where they are converted into usable energy that stimulates the body’s metabolism. Canola-fried chips have the opposite effect, often causing weight gain, inflammation, and leading to a higher risk of cardiovascular disease.
Other benefits of coconut oil include:
- Disease prevention: Coconut oil has super concentrations of lauric acid, a fatty acid that has antibacterial and antiviral properties. That means it actually has the ability to destroy fat-soluble viruses like herpes, measles, and influenza.
- Heart health: Coconut oil helps promote natural and healthy red blood cell function in the body, unlike other unsaturated vegetable fats that encourage platelets to stick together, potentially forming clots and leading to greater risk of heart disease.
- Blood sugar regulation: Since coconut oil is sent directly to the liver to be converted into energy, it doesn’t spike blood sugar levels like simple sugars and carbohydrates. This is great news for diabetics and anyone worried about blood glucose. The quick energy helps keep you going throughout the day—without prompting a sugar high and subsequent crash that leaves you feeling lethargic and irritated.
- Proper thyroid function: The lauric acid in coconut oil also holistically nourishes the thyroid gland and can help aid in restoration of proper thyroid function, which is responsible for many essential functions including regulating hunger, sleep, and internal body temperature.
Jackson’s Honest vs. conventional potato chips
If you’ve ever noticed that you feel malaise and just plain unsatisfied after eating a couple handfuls of potato chips, that’s because many are loaded with trans fat. While this popular ingredient is an essential manufacturing component that keeps chips crisp and prolongs shelf life, too much can result in a number of detrimental health problems for those consuming it, including:
- Clogged arteries (and increased risk of heart disease)
- Increased levels of bad (LDL) cholesterol
- Decreased levels of good (HDL) cholesterol
Other reasons to switch from traditional chips include avoiding huge amounts of salt, empty calories, and BHT, a food additive that’s been linked to cancer when consumed in large amounts.
More about Jackson’s Honest Potato Chips
With a name like Jackson’s “Honest,” you know there are no mystery chemicals lurking in these products—just wholesome ingredients that are good for you and taste good, too.
The founders are a husband-and-wife team who initially set out to find a snack food replacement for their young son, Jackson. From a young age, Jackson suffered from muscle spasticity, drastic weight gain, and difficulty swallowing, speaking, and standing. Doctors weren’t able to diagnose his mystery disease, but his parents were determined to make him healthier. Together, they discovered a new way of eating and living, which centered on a relatively simple philosophy: Eat nutrient-dense foods as close to their original state as possible.
With time, Jackson’s parents realized that traditional, healthy fats that had been consumed for centuries (like cod liver oil, tallow, lard, coconut oil, and unpasteurized butter from grass-fed cows) were a source of essential nutrition, while manmade vegetable oils are the product of an industrial manufacturing process invented 100 years ago. That’s when they grew determined to not only change Jackson’s life, but to change others, too.
Reviews For Sea Salt Potato Chips
Based on 15 Reviews
husband loves these
I love that they are cooked in coconut oil and it is a snack that my husband loves that is better for him than the usual chips.
Cant get enough if these!
I can only order them sometimes because I have a bad habit of almost eating the whole bag. Wish they came in smaller snack bags for portion control. Portion control is always something I struggle with! I will order these chips again because they are light and delicious. I love that they are made from coconut oil instead of sunflower oil like most other chips.
- Samantha Taylor
These chips are really yummy but they do have a bit of a different flavor than regular chips. I like them, but while I know that quality costs more, they're pricey.......
We only eat chips made with either olive oil, avocado oil or coconut oil. That's because all other oils are toxic, rancid, or chemically created. Jackson's is the only company I am aware of producing non-GMO potato chips with coconut oil. Very crunchy and tasty.
This is by far the best potatoe chips I've ever tasted!!!! I love them need more!!!!
My Absolute Favorite Potato Chip
Not only are these chips super delicious; they are super pure. Most chips contain canola or safflower oil, which I avoid like the plague.
The best potato chips I've ever had. Seriously.
Addicting and Delicious!!!
These are incredible chips! I'm glad they aren't really cheap and don't come in bigger bags, because I'd eat them daily! Ha! Perfect salt flavor and they taste nothing like coconut to me. I repurchase them often.
Like the idea, just a little heavy on the coconut oil
These chips aren't awful, but I found them to be heavy with the coconut oil, in a way that coated my mouth and interfered with the crispy salty yumminess that I was craving.
These are the perfect mix of salty and crunchy. I love they are cooked in coconut oil. Great potato taste.
First time trying this brand. Enjoyed these chips.
Only chips we eat because they're made with coconut oil and are delicious.
sea salt potato chips
Simple & Wonderful!!!
These are excellent!
So good they are addictive.
Finally a healthy chip
These are delicious and a nice treat.
Featured on Thrive Market
“The story begins and ends with our son Jackson,” says Megan Reamer.Read More