Treat Your Skin to Pure Botanicals, Backed By ScienceJune 27th, 2018
When Annemarie Lindner couldn’t find a solution to her skin woes, she took matters into her own hands—literally. After World War II, she launched her career as a beautician and developed her own topical herbal formula. She formally founded her company, Annemarie Börlind, in 1959.
The beauty industry took notice when Annemarie Börlind received the coveted neuform designation in 1965—a quality seal for products only available in German and Austrian health food stores. In almost 60 years, the company’s vision still hasn’t changed—it’s always sought to blend botanical ingredients with scientific innovation, and promote social responsibility along the way.
Paving the Way to Great Skin
In the 1970s, Annemarie Börlind pioneered a “complete care system.” This four-step regimen—Cleanser, Toner or Serum, Day Cream, and Night Cream—includes the same active ingredient(s) in each step to promote greater effectiveness. From dehydration to combination, there are eight systems to address a range of skin concerns.
The company continues to innovate when it comes to specific ingredients, too. Here are just a few of the unique ingredients inside each bottle!
- Botanical Caviar: This green microalgae boasts omega-3 fatty acids and is used as a food source in Japan.
- Prebiotic and Probiotic Complex: You’ll find this unique blend inside the ZZ Sensitive System. Unlike some sensitive skin products that use zinc to form a protective barrier, this treatment keeps pH levels healthy without irritation.
- 3D Matrix: Meet a binding botanical that slowly releases over 24-hours and helps nourish skin. For dry skin types, this ingredient is a lifesaver.
Harvesting Starts at Home
Germany’s Black Forest is known for its therapeutic spas and restorative thermal springs. It’s also home to Annemarie Börlind’s corporate headquarters. Natural spring water flows freely throughout the region, and the company harvests its own from a private, 500-foot deep well to use as a base in every product, as well as to serve in glass bottles to employees and visitors. Another prized ingredient straight from Germany is the Black Forest Rose, a hardy plant that grows in the naturally fertile soil. Annemarie Börlind uses the rose’s stem cells for its Rose Blossom Revitalizer, a moisturizing serum boasting potent antioxidants.
Empowering Local Communities
Innovation inside the lab is only part of the story. Outside, Annemarie Börlind sources potent, natural ingredients from around the globe and supports indigenous communities with initiatives like facility improvements, education subsidies, and job training. “Our direct approach has provided us with unique raw materials, but it has also given us an opportunity to provide economic independence and improve quality of life and in these communities,” brand manager Georgiana Rowley shared. The company’s scientists, chemists, and botanists work in tandem with local people to learn how raw materials are used in their homes and environments, discover ancient medicinal practices, and study local plants.
Here are a few of Annemarie Börlind’s unique global ingredients:
- Ingredient: Himalayan Cherry Oil
- Partnership Highlights: In Humla, Nepal, the Wild Cherry Program empowers women to sell what they harvest, earning income for their families and saving money to send their children to school. The natural oil is golden in color and tastes so good it’s used for cooking rice and vegetables as well. Now that’s skincare good enough to eat!
- Ingredient: Organic Shea Butter
- Partnership Highlights: In 2011, a shea butter production facility was completed and has become a reliable source of income for 50 families! Using profits from the processing plant, Annemarie Börlind also offers health and hygiene training courses, literacy programs, and AIDS education using the profits from the facility.
- Ingredients: Avocado and Sesame Oils
- Partnership Highlights: High in the mountains, the Kenyan Organic Oil Farmers Association (KOOFA) supports 250 farmers. Raw plant materials are processed using fair trade practices, and the community also receives training in the latest organic growing practices.
4 Customer Favorites
Ready to give your skin a healthy glow? We asked Georgiana to share Annemarie Börlin’s most popular products, and these four are the ones to know. Each beauty essential can be used independently, or as a booster to an existing skincare regimen.
“This rich cream with carrot extract and sesame oil nourishes the delicate areas around the eyes and lips, helping prevent moisture loss and reducing expression lines. Perfect for all skin types!” —Georgiana
“Sicilian blood orange oils are infused with vitamins B5, C, and E to encourage collagen production and protect against free radical damage. Use this antioxidant serum as a toner to help reduce the appearance of fine lines.” —Georgiana
“Refresh your complexion with this oil-free gel that absorbs quickly and infuses plant extracts like horsetail and lesser celandine into the skin to help minimize pores.” —Georgiana
“Ceramides are found naturally in the skin and help hydrate and protect it’s natural barrier. This serum combines ceramides 3, 6, and 9 with macadamia seed oil, jojoba seed oil, and shea butter to help protect against free radical damage and erase fine lines.” —Georgiana