Clean Eating With Fitness Expert Don SaladinoApril 5th, 2018
When it comes to helping your body become a clean, green machine, Garden of Life (GoL) has a long history of creating some of the best supplements around. Along with every employee’s “fanatical” obsession with real food, three pillars of whole food science, clean ingredients, and traceability form the foundation for everything from probiotics to protein powder.
- It starts in the ground: GoL believes our bodies are designed to eat, process, and extract its nutrition straight from real food. Simple!
- Ciao, chemicals!: What GoL leaves out (like GMO’s, for instance), is just as important as what goes in (like whole food ingredients). If it’s not in your food, GoL won’t put it in your supplements.
- Leaving a trail: GoL’s has high sourcing standards, and it wants to know everything—where an ingredient is grown, the farming practices used, and even how much the farm workers are paid.
Q&A With Don Saladino
A few years ago, Garden of Life welcomed the voice of fitness expert Don Saladino to its blog. Don breaks down topics like sticking to new year’s resolutions and finding your perfect workout. We wanted some tips of our own, so we checked in with Don from his home in New York City, where he owns Drive 495, a boutique golf and fitness training facility. “After nearly 20 years as a fitness expert,” he shared, “I’ve researched many companies and I’m convinced Garden of Life offers the best whole food nutritional supplements on the market.”
1. How do you define “clean eating” and why is it such an important part of living a healthy lifestyle?
For me, it’s a good balance of protein, carbs, and healthy fats. It’s also about paying attention to the quality of foods you consume and avoiding anything processed, chemically enhanced, or fried.
2. What sets Garden of Life apart from similar brands?
I’ve really drilled them about the quality of their supplements. No line is cleaner. When purchasing a supplement, it’s important to follow organic, non-GMO, and NSF (National Sanitation Foundation) certifications. Garden of Life is by far the cleanest and most effective.
3. You’ve worked as a personal trainer to help others transform their lives. What should those who are new to personal training know before committing?
Start slow and don’t overwhelm yourself—10 minutes a day can go a long way. Most newbies dive in full throttle and either quit or get injured. In the beginning, take a less-is-more approach.
4. Any pitfalls to look out for—emotional, physical, or food-related?
Yes! If you undereat, then your body will probably crave junk food. Also remember that you don’t need to be perfect. Put a game plan in place and do your best each day—don’t obsess over the future, but focus on what you need to obtain daily goals.
5. Tell us more about your 80/20 rule, and how to reframe our thinking about meals.
Eating clean 80 percent of the week leaves 20 percent for mistakes and life. The 80/20 rule proves you can hit most goals without having to deprive yourself. The key is moderation!
6. Give us a peek inside your personal eating habits! What does a typical day look like for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?
For me it’s all about food quality. I consume one Sport Plant-Based Protein Shake each day. My other meals are balanced between protein, carbs, and healthy fats, and I eat veggies with every meal, plus two servings of fruit per day. I do all my own food prep, but still find time in the week to enjoy a fun meal with my kids. Well, sometimes!
Don’s Go-To Garden of Life Products
Our last question? We wanted to know Don’s favorite products, of course! Here are his top GoL picks to fuel up.
Get your chocolate fix with this protein-powered blend of organic peas, legumes, and cranberry seeds. Each serving delivers 30g of complete protein with all the essential amino acids, plus BCAAs (branched-chain amino acids) and glutamine, which may support your muscles after a workout.
SPORT Bars Chocolate Mint
Eat it and run! That’s the idea behind this line of workout bars made with organic pea and brown rice protein. Every serving offers 20g of protein to help keep your energy levels up, and a 12-pack means every bar will be ready when you are.
Relax & Restore Magnesium Supplement
Dreaming of better sleep? This doctor-formulated supplement may help. Just add a spoonful to water for a fizzy drink designed to help rebuild the body’s magnesium stores.
Here’s a supplement designed with men in mind, offering 31 probiotics plus vitamins and minerals that may support immunity and overall health. Each container comes with 90 tablets.
Beef up your intake of vitamin B-12 with this convenient spray. This water-soluble vitamin is believed to be essential for energy, metabolism, and forming healthy blood cells. A sweet raspberry flavor makes it easy to take!