Why You’ll Love It
About This Brand
Water, organic beans (pinto, kidney, black), sea salt.
California residents: Learn more on Prop 65 warning. Disclaimer: Information, statements, and reviews regarding products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Results vary person to person, and there is no guarantee of specific results. Thrive Market assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatements about products.
Amount Per Serving
Why You’ll Love Organic Chili Beans
It’s true—the best things really do come in threes. That includes Westbrae Natural Organic Chili Beans: Each 15 oz. can is a hearty mix of organic pinto, kidney, and black beans that is great for three-bean salads, delicious soups, and of course when you need to impress a crowd in a chili cook-off.
The great taste tells all of this high-quality product. Westbrae Natural uses only 100 percent organic beans, water, and sea salt for the mix, meaning there’s no artificial ingredients lurking in the background. These organic chili beans are also fat-free and cholesterol-free, and a great supply of dietary fiber (5 grams in each half-cup serving!) as well as iron and protein—particularly for vegans and vegetarians.
Best of all, Westbrae Natural Organic Chili Beans are ready to use immediately. Simply open up the can and add to your favorite dish—no overnight soaking or stewing necessary.
The organic difference
The use of the “organic” label is highly regulated by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), which defines a set of standards and provides official certification for agricultural or food production businesses that comply. To display the “organic” label, like Westbrae Natural Organic Chili Beans, food must be produced:
- Without synthetic chemicals including fertilizers, pesticides, antibiotics, and additives;
- Without irradiation or sewage sludge;
- Without genetically modified organisms (GMOs);
- Using sustainable agricultural production practices that conserve natural resources.
Organic foods have a number of distinct benefits for the consumer—and the planet:
- Organic foods don’t contain chemical pesticides. Conventionally grown produce is sprayed with chemical pesticides that can stay on the surface of your food, even if you wash it thoroughly. Some produce with especially thin skins can actually absorb some of the pesticide.
- Organic foods are generally fresher than non-organic foods. By rule, organic foods cannot contain artificial preservatives, so they tend to spoil more quickly than conventionally grown foods. Organic foods must therefore be distributed and consumed faster than conventional foods, meaning they are normally fresher, and likely locally sourced.
- Organic foods are better for the environment. Organic foods must be grown using sustainable agricultural practices. That means they generally use less water and reduce or eliminate soil pollution altogether. The composting process used in organic farming reduces food waste and the production of greenhouse gasses. Also, organic foods are generally distributed locally or regionally because of their shorter expiration date, meaning there is less of a carbon footprint involved.
- Organic foods do not contain GMOs. Genetically modified organisms have altered DNA to make them more suitable for modern agriculture. As such, GMOs are quite controversial because the scientific community disagrees on the potential long-term safety of their consumption. The organic label ensures your food is GMO-free.
Westbrae Natural Organic Chili Beans are part of a wholesome diet
Westbrae Natural Organic Chili Beans are certified USDA organic, Non-GMO Project verified, and packed in recyclable cans with a non-BPA lining. This means that Westbrae Natural Organic Chili Beans contain organic, healthy ingredients and nothing else—no synthetic chemicals, additives, or preservatives. Westbrae Natural Organic Chili Beans are also fresh. They are processed within 24 hours of harvesting to maintain quality and flavor.
The combination of pinto, kidney, and black beans contribute to a well-balanced diet, particularly for vegans and vegetarians. A healthy plant-based diet consists of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and beans or legumes in equal parts at every meal supplemented with nuts and seeds and plant oils. Beans are an excellent source of protein, fiber, iron, and several vital nutrients that are difficult to find in other plant sources.
- Protein: Along with whole grains and mushrooms, beans are one of the most important protein sources in a vegetarian or vegan diet, and come close to the amounts in meat products. Each half-cup serving of Westbrae Natural Organic Chili Beans includes seven grams of protein.
- Fiber: This is an important part of any diet, but most Americans only get about half the daily recommended intake. Proper, daily amounts of fiber helps to maintain gastrointestinal health, encouraging normalized bowel movements, preventing diverticulitis, and preventing hemorrhoids or other inflammatory bowel disorders. Adequate fiber intake has also been linked to reduced risk of certain cancers and has been shown to lower bad LDL cholesterol and aid in overall cardiovascular health. Fiber also reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes by regulating blood sugar levels. Each serving of Westbrae Natural Organic Chili Beans includes five grams of dietary fiber—more than 20 percent of the daily recommended intake.
- B vitamins: This family of vitamins is full of coenzymes that play an important role in human metabolism. They encourage fatty acid metabolism and increased energy production. Pinto, kidney, and black beans are high in several forms of B vitamins.
- Iron: Iron is an important element of blood health because it’s needed to make hemoglobin and myoglobin and also delivers blood to cells throughout the body. Without good iron stores, individuals can become fatigued and possibly anemic. Each serving of Westbrae Natural Organic Chili Beans contains 10 percent of the daily recommended intake.
- Phosphorous: Phosphorous is one of the most abundant minerals in the body, used in the formation of bones, teeth, and ATP, which is a molecule that stores the body’s energy. Pinto, kidney, and black beans are rich sources of phosphorous.
Using Westbrae Natural Organic Chili Beans
Don’t let the name fool you—there are tons of non-traditional ways to use this can of beans for an added boost of flavor, texture, and nutrition. And there’s no need to soak overnight. Just pop open a can and enjoy in:
- Three-bean salads
- Hearty soups
- Dips and purees
- Smoothies (yes you can add beans to the blender for a thicker consistency!)
Of course you can always use a can of Westbrae Natural Organic Chili Beans for a mouthwatering chili, too. Here’s one of Thrive Market’s favorite recipes:
This recipe is heavy on the “con carne” with two pounds of ground beef, but you can always add a can or two of beans to the mix—especially if you’re looking for a veggie-friendly option. A range of spices, from paprika to oregano, chili powder, cayenne pepper, even honey, punch up the flavor while beef bone broth gives it just the right texture.
Reviews For Organic Chili Beans
Based on 20 Reviews
My beans were mashed
The quality of the beans I got was questionable...they were mashed like refried beans. BUT customer service was so helpful and refunded me for every can as well as looking into why this happened with the manufacturer. My only issue now is how I'll know if they are safe to order next time.
Eden Foods is always good
Nice to have 3 kinds of beans in one can. Use in chili or chopped salad or whatever. Yummy.
Westbrae Chili Beans
I am very happy with Westbrae products. The store I usually shop at doesn't carry them anymore so I'm thrilled to find a new supplier. Thank you Thrive!
nice variety, flavor and texture.
Best Chili Beans can
Just with rice, avocado, tomato and lettuce, some chicken... Tasty!
I made chili out of these beans and the jovial crushed and diced tomatoes. The beans were coated in a strange and tasteless paste. The chili was so horrible I had to throw it out.
Our go to for beans.
Organic Chili Beans
Surprised that they are not spiced, but happy to have the opportunity to create my own - this is a lovely mixture of beans to make any bean dish interesting.
- Mary O'Meara
Excellent Organic Chili Beans
I made a pot of chili with these - EXCELLENT!
I love these beans-they are great for chili, but also just as they are or to add a few extras and make your own healthy version a baked beans.
!!! MUST BUY !!!
!!! ORGANIC !!!
Excellent chili choice
Bought a couple cans and made chili and then ordered more. Have to keep these in stock at home for winter chili!!
Organic Chili Beans
Delicious and healthy. But please don't send me dented cans.
The mixture is very easy going and mild tasting (for the picky-eaters). It's just lacking black beans for color and stronger taste.
Fat free, no cholesterol, high fiber, all good
Beans have been one of my staples for years, just a wonder food that packed tons of nutrients. But they're high in sodium, especially for chili, so I was happy to switch to Westbrae Natural's organic beans.
The beans are low in salt and sugar, and they are chewy and full flavored. Another big plus is they retain their firmness in chile.
- Savannah W.
Makes great chili
The key to good chili is the beans, no question. Some people think it's the meat, but you can pretty much use any meat and hours of simmering will get it just right. But you need big, meaty beans and these organic ones are great for that. They are all natural and low in salt and sugar. I don't have to worry about making beans from scratch, because these tastes just as good.
- Sean Waters
I make a lot of home-made chili, so thank you Thrive for having organic chili beans! There are no local health food stores, and my local grocery doesn't have an organic section, so I've had to settle for non-organic chili beans up until now. I'm glad you carry them - and at a price that's really close to what I was paying for my non-organic beans. Thank you!
- Teresa W.
Beans are good for you
Beans are a great food and good for you. I like to find different ways to add them into my diet as often as possible. I make cold salads with them, use them in casserole dishes and of course they are perfect for chili. I also like to add them to my spaghetti.
These beans in particular are pretty good, but need some extra flavor.
- E. Cayer
I like these beans, but they don't have a lot of flavor. They do taste great in chili, and we also use them in goulash sometimes too.
I wouldn't eat them alone, unless I added some seasoning to them. They do make a good side if you mix up something to make them into kind of a baked beans dish.
- Carson L
This product is as good as it can get.
This product is as good as it can get. The beans are tender, juicy and very nicely flavored and can be used for eating directly out of the can or as accompaniment with any other dish. Neither too hot nor too mild, this product can be enjoyed by the whole family. I personally like it a lot and get it at least twice a month as I enjoy the flavors and the healthy meal it makes.
- Johnathan Herrera
Featured on Thrive Market
There’s something so simple, so elegant, and so gourmet about a charcuterie and cheese board.Read More